Sunday, 6 September 2015

Star Designer: SUZI BLU


Hello there! 

Thank you so much for stopping by! Today, I would like to introduce (not sure she needs it, really... ) and welcome a wonderful mixed media artist Suzi Blu! I am super-excited that she has agreed to join us here for the day and let us into her arty world by answering a few questions and reminding us how  beautifully talented she is... 


I absolutely adore Suzi's art! Full stop. I am a girly girl and love drawing & painting faces myself. I also love grunge and texture and Suzi delivers it all!! There is more to Suzi than her gorgeous and inspiring art though. Her energy and free-spirited personality is rather infectious and I find the realness of her very refreshing. I only know Suzi from her YouTube channel and her book 'Mixed Media Girls' (which is brilliant, if you want to learn how to paint whimsical faces...). I would like to invite you to explore Suzi's arty world and find your inspiration, encouragement or whatever else you might be looking for in life. 



You can find Suzi on FacebookPinterestTwitterInstagram and her blog . You could also become one of Suzi's Patrons by visiting Suzi's profile on patreon.com via which you can gain access to the Suzi Blu Gypsy Boho A Go-Go Show! 





Suzi kindly agreed to answer a few of our questions for us so that you can get to know her a bit more! Check this out...

Where does your inspiration come from? 

I started painting to feel. I remember being 27 years old and sitting on the carpet in my one bedroom apartment, painting and crying. I felt everything when I painted: the anguish of being dumped over the phone so my boyfriend could marry someone else, the poignant and bottomless hole I felt in my gut when I visited my parents, my bleak job at the strip club. For some reason when I put brush to canvas, everything inside of me came flooding out. When I create, I heal. 

Do you pre-plan your pieces, or are they often the result of just 'going with the flow’? 
I used to never plan before I started a new painting, but sometimes now I do. I find that if I choose my palette colors beforehand and have an idea about composition, the end result is more pleasing, but it is still a loose idea. Much of the content of my work is created spontaneously. Too much planning beforehand makes me feel like I am following instructions, even if they are my own. I LOVE the way it feels when I don’t know where I am going and put one mark down, step back, and then decide on the next. 

What is your favorite medium to work with? 
Being a mixed media artist that is truly hard to say. My go-to medium for faces, which is the most important element in my work, is colored pencils. I can create detail and expression with them that I cannot achieve with a brush. But pencils alone do not give the feel of mixed media that I want. Liquid color, whether it be watercolor, ink, or acrylics, has to be included. 

Do you have a tool which you couldn't live without? 
Cosmetic sponges. I use them for sopping up too much liquid, dabbing color onto a stencil, and blending colors on a canvas. Cheap and effective. 

What's your craft space like? 
It is always changing because I am not settled in my own home yet. I have lived with friends the last few years so my studio has consisted of what I can carry around and easily clean up. I find that putting supplies on wheeled carts is the best. I long for a real studio with large windows, however, with enough space so things can be left out. 

What is your favorite creation to date? 
My first Gypsy Warrior painting - I call the style ‘Abstract Bohemian.” I think it incorporates everything that is new about mixed media. A girl is still the subject matter, but the layers are tighter. It also has a touch of the doodling everyone is doing, but in a refined style. My new work is also distressed without looking grungy. I think this has to do with a lot of the healing that has taken place in my life these last three years. The girls I paint still live a complicated life, but they are more optimistic. 

Do you have a favorite colour combo? 
I love anything in the violet family. Bluish purples next to magenta. Cool tones with a patch of warmth.



What a treat! I don't know about you, but I feel very inspired and ready to get creating!

A HUGE THANK YOU to Suzi for all her precious time and simply for being a very precious and inspiring beautiful self and sharing it all with us! I hope you have a wonderful arty journey! We shall look forward to seeing more of your gorgeous art! Big hugs! x

Dear sweet reader, don't forget our 'Gorgeous Textures' challenge is still running and there is still time to link up your fabulousity! Have fun creating and crafting and we will be back with a winner announcement and a new challenge next Sunday! Whooohooo! ;)

Take care!

Ingrid xxx



4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh!! What an inspiring and beautiful, REAL interview!! Thank you Suzi for sharing yourself and your art with us! Your openness and heartfelt answers to Ingrid's questions, give me new perspective on your art!
    Ingrid, thanks for bringing Suzi to us ,and yes, I too am now inspired to go create,something in blues and violets!! ")
    hugs, Jackie
    http://www.creatingwithoutcrayons-jackiepneal.com/.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is very beautiful art. the facial expressions are calm and peaceful

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super excited to see Suzi here!!! Woo hoo! I totaly <3 Suzi's girls!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave a comment! x