Sunday, 23 October 2016

Guest Designer: HEATHER THOMPSON

Hi everyone!

I hope you are all well and having fun. I have a special guest here today, Heather Thompson, our last winner. She created the most amazing layout and I personally couldn't wait to see what inspiration she'd bring along for our new challenge: Assemblage/Altered Art. Be prepared to be amazed! Here it goes...

*****



My name is Heather Thompson, I live in rural Wisconsin on my own little piece of heaven with my husband and two fun kids, Olivia-8, and Maksim-6. I am a registered nurse by night and a avid crafter and gardener by day. I have dabbled in scrapbooking since my daughter was born in 2008, but have been creating seriously since 2014. I love having the freedom to create based on my mood and environment, so with that being said I can't say I have a particular style that screams “This is Me.”. I love all styles and genres and love to much my creative mind.


Frame: I used an 5 x 7 inch canvas frame and used the back side of it. After applying a layer of gesso as a primer I decoupaged some tissue paper randomly on the canvas and around the sides. I then used a stencil and molding paste to add more dimension to the piece. I even added texture to the center knowing I would eventually be covering a majority of it up. I used a combination of Alcohol Inks and Lindy's Sprays to give the right color combo I was looking for.


Relic: I found the relics that would work and fit with still giving some area to see the background. I then Applied a thick layer of texture Paste Graphite (Finnabair) to the lower portion of the Imperial Egg, after drying, a layer of white gesso on both top and bottom portions. I again used the alcohol in to give it the vibrant red colour. The top valleys of the egg where filled with glitter glass and then filled over with some liquid glass. ( Side Bar: I should have used some Ice Resin for a clearer dried end result, but 1. didn't want to mix it up for such a small amount, and 2. I am impatient and didn't want to wait 24 hours for dry time.) After both pieces were dry I then used a hogs hair brush and dry brushed a fine layer of black gesso over the whole piece.


After adhering the imperial egg to the base, From past experiences, there is a right way and a wrong way to put the base and relic together. Patiences is a virtue here. I used some "Loctite" Super Glue Gel Control to apply the diamond chain around the base. It gives enough time to work with the piece.
Then was just adding the finishing touches and embellishments. The red and black reminded me of a deck of cards and the Imperial Egg itself reminded me of Alice in Wonderland's Queen of Hearts. So hence the composition was born.
*****

Wow! What a fabulous make! You certainly excelled in this challenge and brought a wonderful inspiration to us all! Thank you very much, Heather! It's been wonderful to meet you and get to know you more. 

So I hope you are all feeling even more inspired to join the fun! Good luck and we'll be back soon with more creative goodness! 

All the best, 

Ingrid xxx

27 comments:

  1. Just so lovely and fun Heather - so creative and definitely lusciously yummy textures. Years ago - my folks used to have a game room in these colors - your project would have been PERFECT. SUPER Guest Designer!! Xj.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Joi, this has been such a great project to design.

      Delete
  2. Heather - gorgeous project and I love what you did with the heart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this guest designer spot. I hope some inspiration comes from this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing my dear !!! You are awesome!! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful work, Heather!! I love how you put together the entire piece and your work with the Relics & Artifacts Imperial Egg is just exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this is was great project to make. Thank you Chrissy

      Delete
  6. Heather, that's just beautiful! Your wonderland inspiration shines through!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you FREAKIN' ROCK.....this is TOTALLY AMAZING Heather!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another amazing creation. I'm always so impressed with your vision and instinct to know what works.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave a comment! x